Acumatica vs Sage
Both Acumatica and Sage have powerful enterprise resource planning (ERP) software solutions. Their business management tools allow users to see real-time data, draw valuable insight as well as remove unnecessary silos of information so the data is not only centralized but also readily accessible. In this article, we’ll take Acumatica vs Sage and walk through their key differences, its similarities, as well as which of the two is better suited for a specific type of company.
Before diving into the world of Acumatica vs Sage, let’s take a look at what ERPs are and why they are a good implementation. Enterprise resource planning software helps companies manage and integrate the key aspects of their business processes onto a centralized platform. This way, all authorized team members of a company have access to real-time data across departments. This not only helps companies optimize their business processes, it also allows them to gain valuable insight on how everything is performing in order to make well-informed decisions.
Founded in 1981 in the UK, Sage Group is a British multinational enterprise software company. It has a long line of products including; Sage 50, Sage 100, Sage 300 and Sage 500 – all of which have their own feature set and target a specific market segment. Sage overall, however, offers adequate functionality for small to mid-sized businesses (SMBs).
Sage 50: is a set of accountancy and payroll products developed by Sage Group aimed at small and medium enterprises.
Sage 100: platform designed to help small and mid-sized businesses manage their resources with a very effective enterprise resource planning (ERP) toolkit.
Sage 300: is a business management software solution designed for small and medium-sized businesses. Critical program functionality includes support for accounting, sales, service, purchasing, and inventory management tasks.
Sage 500: provides distribution and supply chain management that helps you minimize carrying costs while ensuring sufficient product availability.
Acumatica is a cloud ERP that is known to be the most adaptable business management solution for growing small and midmarket businesses / organizations. Acumatica excels in technology leadership, has best in class business and industry functionality, and follows ethical business practices. The best part of this ERP software is that it uses a cloud platform which (considering the recent pandemic of Covid19) is dubbed as a “future-proof” platform.
Acumatica editions include: general business (financials, project accounting, reporting and BI), distribution, manufacturing, construction, and retail-commerce. Acumatica industries, on the other hand, consist of; agriculture and farming, chemicals, construction, education, energy and utilities, equipment rental, food and beverage, government contractors, healthcare, non-profit, property management, telecommunications, transportation, as well as travel and hospitality.
Acumatica vs Sage
Some similarities between these two ERPs are their feature rich financials suite, how well both support multiple vertices and industries, both Acumatica and Sage have strong third-party software extensions as well as large reselling partner channels.
|True Mobility (supports all devices)||Yes||No|
|Full Function ERP||Yes||Varies|
|Full Relational Database Export||Yes||Yes|
|Upgrade on Your Schedule||Yes||Yes|
|Flexible Licensing Options based on Customer Reqs.||Yes||Varies|
|Multiple Deployment Options (cloud, on-premises, hybrid)||Yes||Varies|
|Scale as You Grow||Yes||No|
|Lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)||Yes||No|
While the differences between Acumatica vs Sage have been made clear, there are few specifics that need to be highlighted:
- When it comes to differences, however, Acumatica was designed from the start to be accessible through the cloud using current technology while the Sage product line still relies on old client-server technology.
- Sage product line uses older software development practices and platform architecture; simply because these products were built for on-premise deployments and retrofitted for the cloud (which means they can’t match the level of speed and functionality of Acumatica). Acumatica, on the other hand, was designed to leverage the capabilities of cloud computing and can run on-premises or in the cloud.
- Both Acumatica and Sage support browser access on multiple devices, but unlike Acumatica, the web pages via Sage do not automatically resize to accommodate mobile devices.
- Sage charges per user, which Acumatica charges by computing resources used.
- While the Sage product line is scaled to various business sizes and needs, the fact that the bulk of Sage product line was built on an older client-server technology from the 1990s – full functionality isn’t available when deployed in the cloud. Acumatica, on the other hand, offers a fully integrated financial and ERP solution that scales with your business in the cloud and on-premises.
- Both products are available through subscription and licensing – however, Sage allows licensing based on user count while Acumatica offers a choice of licensing options and charges based on resources needed.
- Both Sage and Acumatica can support deployments on-premises, cloud or hosted – however Sage products are not able to be deployed on the true cloud due to their legacy architecture.
Acumatica vs Sage: Final Thoughts
Both Acumatica and Sage have their fair share of pros and cons. Ultimately, the final decision of which ERP is better comes down to what your business needs. It’s no secret that buying a new ERP system is a major decision that will affect your business for many years. The wrong one can set you back while the right one can help you thrive in your industry. As such, it’s important to do the due diligence necessary to make sure your company is equipped with an ERP software that can both optimize and support your business.
If you find yourself unsure, speak with an ERP partner like Bista Solutions. Not only do we provide free consultations, we also analyze your business in order to determine the best ERP solution for your business/industry – no bias guaranteed. Our experienced team will explain the pros and cons of every recommendation so you can feel sure about your decision.
Based in the United States and operating across North America, Bista Solutions has over 350 successful ERP implementations under our belt. So connect with our highly skilled and eager to help team of developers by emailing us your enquiry at firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule a free consultation here.